August 17, 2008

There went another one

Today is our 12th anniversary! Had I been thinking I would have had a picture of us taken to commemorate the day. There are very few pictures of just Corie and James anymore, I think the last one was a snapshot taken last Christmas. James got me a new coffee maker since we broke the pot of the old one, and a new coffee grinder since we lost the other one. I got him...a new archery target and release for his bow (though I didn't know I was getting him anything...I found out about that stuff today!). I'm not sure what else I got him the day he bought that stuff. :)

We went to church this morning, then had pizza with the Davidsons for lunch. It's fun to go out with them since between us there are eight kids. I've often wondered if the kids realize if they decided to mutiny they might just win since we're outnumbered. We do have size on our side, I guess.

While the boys and Elizabeth napped, Amelia and I went to the barn and today I started teaching her to ride a horse by herself. (Again, a prime photo opp but I was afraid between the sky threatening to rain and the dust in the arena the camera might not fare too well.) We chose Taffy, who is an angel and is very patient. I had to wrap Amelia's stirrup leathers four times and put them on the last hole to make them short enough for her legs. Amelia had a great time and did well for her first lesson. I mentioned to her that when the younger kids get a little older and we can spend more time at the barn, maybe we could get her a pony she could ride and take care of. She said, "I'll pray for a pony. I would like a brown one with white on it." I'm probably the only parent on the earth who would encourage that kind of thing! (Good ponies are hard to find though, they tend to be bratty...so prayer would help a lot, I think.)

Later in the evening James shot his bow for awhile, both for fun and to shape up for hunting season. To wrap up this eventful anniversary, he is watching Rambo or some such man movie upstairs while I attempt to simultaneously feed Elizabeth and document the occasion in this blog. Yeah, it's a lame anniversary, but we figure we've got better ones coming again once we can get the kids a little bigger. Not just anyone will keep four small kids, and the window to be away from Elizabeth is pretty small right now. One day...

Might I just for posterity document a few things I love about my husband on this 12th year of marital bliss? First of all, he loves God, me, and the kids unconditionally. He's a terrific dad and truly enjoys his children. He's an incredible camp director, and cares deeply about Strong Rock and the impact it has on lives. He's fun to hang out with, has good taste in most everything, and enjoys life. I love you, honey!

On to another Monday tomorrow. Next time I'll post some pictures too.

No comments: