August 20, 2008

Extracurricular activities

Today marked the first day of Shannon's participation in an extracurricular activity. Wait a minute, actually he has no "curricular" yet, so I guess it's just an activity. It's his first official class outside of church, anyway. I enrolled him in a gymnastics class, along with Amelia. She took gymnastics last year, and he always wanted to participate in her class. I thought he was too silly and not able to pay enough attention then. That may still be the case (Amelia says he got to sit in the "green time out chair" for a few minutes), but it will be good for him, I think. He already tries to do everything she's learning anyway, including forward rolls and flying cartwheels where he always lands on his rear end. Here are a few pictures of them in their class.



This has been a pretty quiet week so far. It's been full though, with meetings about camp issues sprinkled in here and there. I'm still getting used to being back in the non-camp routine, which always seems to take me a little to readjust. Mostly it's the timing of my days, including making meals for the family which I didn't have to do all summer. I'm also figuring out how we fit in Amelia's school work. Right now it's happening while the boys nap, which seems to be a good time to do it. The other day she said, "School is kind of boring with no one else around." I was thinking she wasn't happy with our choice to homeschool when all of her other friends were making new friends at school. (Not that she has any clue what goes on at school!) Then she said, "I wish Shannon didn't have to nap then and could do school with us." So it turns out Shannon was enough company for her. I did try it the other day, and including him right now is a chore. He has pretty much zero interest in "academia" right now. I do plan to start the phonics book I started Amelia on last year sometime after he turns four. We'll see how it goes.

This weekend we will be going to my aunt and uncle's lake house on Lake Oconee with our friends the Davidsons. I'm really looking forward to it and will be sure to document our adventure in a future post. Tomorrow should be an adventure in itself. We're doing pictures for the church directory. There's nothing more fun than getting the whole family dressed up, heading 20 minutes to the church, smiling through gritted teeth as we try to get at least three kids to look at the camera and smile, then spending at least half an hour trying to decide which one is best while keeping six little hands off of everything breakable and expensive set up in the room. Should be great!

Below are a few random pictures from this week.


Amelia and I went to get a haircut, and she even got her hair curled. The outfit demonstrates another one of her creative ventures in fashion. I've seen kids love to play dress up, but I've never seen one so passionate about it!

(Below)
Avery in his favorite place in the house.



Elizabeth is smiling regularly now, and has started the excited kicking/arm flapping thing. The scratch on her nose is self-inflicted. I've always been amazed at how my babies could do that. I can't find a snag or long place on her nails anywhere. She must have heard us saying we've got pictures coming up! She's now 12 weeks old.

It's once again way too late, so I'm off to bed!

No comments: