November 9, 2008

Fun with eating and horses....huh?

A better post title than "Fun with eating horses." Things haven't gotten THAT bad around here yet. It's merely a preview of photos to come.

Last week at the kids' doctor appointments I asked our doctor to remind me of the baby feeding protocol to get a little one started. With Amelia, and even Shannon, I intently read everything on baby care, including about 20 hours worth (give or take) on feeding. I knew what, when, where, and how to feed a baby when it came to starting them on solids. With Avery I winged it, pretty much, and apparently if you want to grow them big that is a better strategy. Needless to say, by your fouth child you aren't stressing too much about, well, anything. I knew I could start her between 4 and 6 months, and frankly have been putting it off as long as possible since it's just one more thing to do everyday. What, this doesn't qualify me for Mother of the Year? I think the little booger is genuinely ready for more than milk though, partially evidenced by the fact that at five months she still wakes up at least once, sometimes twice during the night, ravenous nearly to the point of attack.

I remember thinking solids would help with the boys too, but neither of them slept the whole night through regularly until they were nearly 8 months old. And I let them cry. A lot. Until I gave in and figured it was easier to get up for 15 minutes at 2 AM than to listen to hours of fussing, crying, and kicking feet on the crib mattress. So we shall see if this strategy that failed with two others will work with this one! Friday I gave her rice cereal, the first thing she's ever had off of a spoon. She had mixed feelings at first, though she swallowed more than she spit out.

First you wrap the baby in a dishtowel, since the carnage will probably be great with an amateur eater. It took her a couple of tries, but she started to get used to the idea of opening her mouth.

Here it comes! Mmmm, bland, tasteless rice cereal!

Whoa, mom, what the heck is this stuff?

What are you trying to do, poison me, or make me gag?

Yeckkk! Bleh...gag!

Well, actually, let me think about this for a minute...yes, a little bland, but I could get used to it.

Okay, you talked me into it!

We had a repeat performance yesterday, and this evening she was opening her mouth and trying to find the spoon. I think we might have successfully added another eater to the world. Now if I can just remember to do it everyday....:) (Oh, and has it helped with the sleeping? Not yet...but I'm hopeful.)

This weekend we had groups at camp from two different churches, one was a mens' retreat, the other was a ladies' retreat. So once again we saw little of James, except at meals. Shannon and Amelia did take turns hanging out with him as he worked for a few hours here and here. We're retreatless for the next few weekends so aside from this Friday when he leaves for a five day hunting trip, we should see him more. Once the groups checked out today he came home and stayed with the kids while I went to the barn for my weekly riding lesson. Amelia went with me while the boys and Elizabeth napped.

Folks ask me if we're done having kids, and the answer is yes (in as much as we can control it!). This is mostly because I want there to come a day when everyone is walking and a little more independent so we can do things like all play outside together. Amelia and Shannon both are interested in learning more about horseback riding but the times I can take them without the smaller ones are few and far between. Amelia has ridden by herself a few times in the arena. She wanted to go today, and was very patient while I was riding in my lesson. Part of the time she sat on the mounting block and sprinkled the arena footing on her boots. Susan commented that wouldn't it be nice to be that easily entertained. Amelia said, "It's what kids do."

After my lesson I put her up on Eli for a few minutes. The few times she has ridden solo it has been on Taffy.

Here she is on Eli, sporting fashionable riding attire and a lot of leg. If I ever get serious about teaching her how to ride I will go shopping for tiny riding breeches. This look has got to go.

Eli is a sweetheart, and was donated last fall. He had been unridden for about five years, just hanging out in someone's pasture here in Cleveland. Turns out he has some wonderful training and is now teaching ME a few things, under Susan's expertise. He's one of those rare finds. Definetely sent by God.

Amelia decided she wanted to go on a trail ride, so we put Eli away and got Taffy. She likes to groom.

Can I just say that I LOVE that my kids are learning about horses with Taffy? Years ago I would never have guessed she'd still be kicking around when I had kids old enough to start teaching about them.

Amelia went and got her own bucket so she could reach better. I'm trying to teach her how to braid. Perhaps first I should teach her how to tie her shoes...



This was a proud moment for me. We have 10 year old camp kids who are afraid to clean out a horse's hooves, and Amelia was asking if we could do it because she likes it. Note where her feet are in relation to Taffy's. I think I said no less than three times, "Watch out for her feet. If you put her foot down, make sure your foot is out of the way." Then I showed her how to do it. So as I'm snapping pictures, she's finishing up with that foot, and....puts Taffy's foot down on top of her right foot. Thankfully no harm done I realized, in spite of the wailing and tears. She went right back over with the hoof pick and asked for my help so she could finish. Another proud moment! Later she said, "Well, now I've been stepped on by a horse. I'll be careful so that won't happen again."

We had a terrific trail ride, and I wound around the trails so that halfway through I ended up at our house so I could drop off Amelia and pick up Shannon. He was very dissapointed that he couldn't go earlier, but usually a nap for him helps take off the edge and keep the sillies at bay, so we try not to skip them too often with him. He and I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the ride, and the woods were beautiful, all yellow and brown, and showering us with falling leaves. A very satisfactory end to the day!





Tomorrow we're heading to McDonough to spend the night with my folks and do a camp presentation at Strong Rock School on Tuesday. James will also be speaking at their chapel services that morning. More on Strong Rock School in a future post, if you're not familiar with it.

Peace out.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Amelia looks like a pro already...hummm what's the minimum age to compete in the Olympics???