January 10, 2012

A day to remember

Looks like I'll never get around to the next month's post...unless I stay up super late tonight. We'll see how I'm doing after this one! I can't NOT write about an exciting happening in our lives, the baptism of our oldest, which happened this past Sunday, January 8.

Last February Amelia told us she asked Jesus into her heart, sitting on her bed in her room. We never doubted her sincerity, and she understood the decision as much as a seven year-old could. We hesitated to make it public at church until we were sure she really did get it, and until she said she wanted to. We didn't want to push her into anything. 

Through this past fall she asked several times when she could go forward at church and tell everyone, and then get baptized. Most weeks James isn't there with us since he's takes care of groups at camp, or I have to leave early to get to my kindergarteners. On New Year's day we were all in church together (including the youngest two, since there was no childcare that day), and she leaned over before the invitation and asked, "Can I do it this week?" I told James, who was ready to put her off again- I'm not kidding when I say we really did want to make sure she understood it- and then he said, "Should we go?" I nodded and he walked with her to the front to talk to Pastor Levi, appropriately to the tune of "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus." I can't think of anything better to do on the first day of a new year.

The next week was her baptism, and she was one of the first to try out the new baptismal at church. For years at church we've used a huge water trough, no kidding, draped with white cloths with ferns and plants set all around it to disguise its "troughness."  It seemed befitting of a rural area of the state to me, but it was a bit impractical for tall or big folks (they had to turn themselves into a ball), and it's general tackiness charm finally got to the powers that be. So they cut a hole in the wall and put in a tub.


Shannon and Avery surveyed the scene before the service began. It's obviously not a finished product yet, but it was a lot further along than when I saw it the previous Wednesday. Somebody did have a sawzall going on the steps just before the service started.


Amelia and Daddy just before.


James had the privilege of baptizing her. I love that our church has a practice of letting daddies baptize their kids.



Nobody besides God knows a kid's heart better than her parents. Not too many dry eyes in the house that morning.







This decision impacts forever.

My folks drove up that morning to be there at the 8:30 service with us. It was a long, rainy, foggy drive, but they wouldn't have missed it. I'm so blessed to have such a Godly heritage on both sides of my family, as is James, as are our kids. Generational blessings can be traced over and over again throughout our families' histories. My heart overflows with gratitude to my Savior.

Afterwards we headed to El Campesino with friends and grandparents to celebrate.


 The girls' table. No photo of 6-10 year olds is complete without at least one set of bunny ears.




Boys' table, plus two big boys.


"Hey, could somebody get a picture of me with Amelia?"




"Want a second one?" "Sure." We had no idea there was a creeper behind us. At least she's flashing the "I love you" sign. No, actually, I think that's the sign for the devil. Either way, "AAAAHHHHH!"


And then someone got the bright idea to tell them it was Keith's birthday the next day.


Lucky Keith!


How's that fried ice cream smell?




The Jennings family, post ice cream attack.


James thanked our friends and family for the care they've shown and influence they've been on Amelia. We've been so blessed with friendships and people who genuinely care about us and our family. Amelia's face looks like maybe she's afraid they'll assail her with a fried ice cream. Or maybe it's creeper phobia.
 

The family with Grandmom and Grandad.

All in all it was a very special day, one which marks one of the first grown-up, and easily most important, decisions Amelia has made. There's nothing better than seeing one of our kids choose God's best. Heartfelt thanks to all of you who love her and have been an influence in her life.

Click below to see the video.

Amelia's baptism

1 comment:

Mama D! said...

We really are pleased to have been a part of her special day. But what about that creeper pic??? Don't you think it takes away from the beauty of the day? Geez, what was she thinking? And isn't that the Texas Longhorn sign? Close to Baylor!??