November 6, 2010

While we were schooling...

Sometimes people ask me what I do with the younger two kids while the oldest two do school each day. I'd love to reply that I have them sit quietly, playing a learning game I have specifically prepared for that day just for them. Then, simply by being present while the older kids do their lessons, the younger ones will learn to read, add and subtract, and translate the Bible from the original Hebrew and Greek. 

Nearly every day they watch a thirty minute or so movie during at least part of our school time because it gives us some peace and quiet. Sometimes they play under and around the table, with Elizabeth trying to get in my lap and color on everything. They also need water to drink and help with at least fourteen things every half hour. I once heard a homeschooling mom compare doing school with more than one child to a circus performer keeping several plates spinning on sticks. Just when you have one going pretty good another one needs a spin. Then add the preschool age plate crashers to the mix...

I don't think it's a good thing to put in video or DVD and just have them sit in front of it for a couple of hours every day, so sometimes we don't do one at all. Such was the case Thursday, and while my focus was elsewhere here's what happened instead.

It's nearly every game we own out of the big black cabinet in the living room.
I still feel like the trade off for some peace and quiet were worth the clean up afterwards.
At least four wardrobe changes occurred as well.

And Friday they watched a movie.

1 comment:

SarhaDawg said...

Hilarious! Man o man...