August 26, 2010

A Tribute

On Sunday, August 22, my Paw Paw went to Heaven. We just returned last night from two days of funeral home, funeral, spending time with family, and remembering. It was sad, and it was wonderful. As my Granny said, and I kept thinking, "He sure would have enjoyed this."

This is one of my all time favorite pictures of Paw Paw. That man could drink some coffee.

Paw Paw was my dad's dad. He did have health problems, including severe diabetes that caused him to lose his left leg several years ago, and a heart attack and bypass surgery years back as well. Still, none of us expected to lose him this week. He was 82, so I guess when the call comes you're never completely surprised.

I think most of all this week I've been reminded of what a merciful God we serve, and how generous He is to pour out blessings on His kids. My folks and some other family went by to see him and Granny Saturday evening, he got up Sunday morning and went to church with Granny, came home and ate lunch, then fell asleep in his favorite chair and didn't wake up. What a great day for him, and the whole family is grateful for the easy exit. People have been so kind, and it was amazing how many came to say goodbye and to offer sympathy to all of us. And the food, well, that's how God's folks take care of each other. By the truckload!

My brother Jonathan put together a terrific slideshow of his life. I swiped a few pictures.

Paw Paw, about 19 or 20. He was born in 1928 in Cleveland and grew up there, then moved to Atlanta and worked at the General Motors plant for 30 years. Most folks knew him as J.L., or Junior Lee Adams.



He married Granny, also from Cleveland, and moved her out of the mountains too. She was from the Shoal Creek side of town, and he was from the Mountain View area. They once told me it was rare for Shoal Creek and Mountain View young people to date and marry like that. I never asked which one of them was from the wrong side of the tracks.

Then along came three kids. Larry, my dad, is on the far left. Can't help but see Shannon's resemblance. Uncle Danny is in the middle, Aunt Angela is on the right.

And they grew.

And they became musical. When Granny was a young mom she wanted to know how to play hymns on the piano, so she took lessons until she could. Then they made sure all of the kids knew how to play as well. It worked, because not only to they all still play the piano to this day, they also play an assortment of other instruments; trumpet, clarinet, flute, and french horn.



When my dad was 15, along came a surprise- my Uncle Doug.

My mom and dad's wedding, July 1972. On the left is my Nanny and Grandaddy. We lost him four and a half years ago.

Here's how I remember Paw Paw and Granny in my youngest years. I was very fortunate to grow up having a close relationship with both sets of my grandparents, and am grateful for the impact they have had on my life.


They never missed an adventure and enjoyed road tripping and camping in younger days. Even in his oldest days Paw Paw would always go anywhere anyone would take him.

The family grows again, and in this picture includes me, my brother Jonathan, and cousin Gary. I think I was close to four in this picture, and they were babies...and now we're a youthful 36 and 33. I actually remember this day because wherever it was we were in the picture had a swimming pool and I was extremely disappointed not to be getting in it. Darn those Sunday clothes.

In his lifetime Paw Paw restored a couple of cars, including an A model. We grandkids loved to ride in it.

Fast forward a BUNCH of years, and here's Paw Paw in New Mexico in 2003. Our family has been blessed to go on several working vacations together at various properties my dad and uncles own, and Paw Paw and Granny got to go with us almost every time. He loved riding the four wheeler and on this trip rode it nearly 30 miles around the ranch without telling anyone where he went, no cell phone, no way for a nearly 80 year old one-legged man to get help if he needed it. He probably knew if he told anyone where he was going they wouldn't have let him go.

A few years ago.

Almost three years ago while on a trip with the family after Christmas, Granny had a stroke. She was left different, and not happy about it. If you ever ask her what you can pray for for her she will say that she wants to get better. Paw Paw had to become her caretaker, along with the family's help, which hasn't been easy. She took care of everything at home, including the house, paying the bills, and answering every phone call. He adapted, though the last few years haven't been easy for either of them.

Last year, at their 60th wedding anniversary party.

Just before this summer. There are several April birthdays in the family, and he shared a celebration with some of the folks he was most proud of. He never forgot to tell us how much he loved us and was proud of us. I will miss that.

This family has been so very blessed to have the example we've had in Paw Paw. He is leaving a Godly legacy behind, and because of his faithfulness we are reaping the rewards. My brother, cousins, and I put together a few thoughts for the funeral, so here are some of the things we learned from Paw Paw:

Keep on keeping on- even when things are tough, even if you lose your leg- and do it with a good attitude.

Count your blessings every day, out loud.

Always tell your family how much you love them and how proud you are of them.

Read your Bible and do what it says.

You will become like the people you are around, so choose wisely.

Pray for your children to have good relationships with each other when they become adults.

Never meet a stranger.

Treat and love your married-ins like they are your own.

Be faithful to tithe.

Don't let the fact that other people think the coffee isn't any good keep you from enjoying a second cup.

Always be up for an adventure.

If you're willing to give the time and energy, there's nothing or no one that is too far gone to be restored and made beautiful.

Always make time to visit relatives, sick folks, and old folks- even if you are one yourself.

If you don't have integrity in everything and aren't honest you aren't good for much.

Work hard.

Two legs are overrated, and determination is key- keep on riding four wheelers and enjoying what you like.

Cherish your spouse.

Tell good stories and make people laugh.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.

At the funeral my Uncle Danny said he was simple man, and was a living example of the book of Proverbs. That was my Paw Paw. During the funeral his pastor of 20 years said he had talked with Paw Paw after the death of his own father, who passed away in his sleep. Paw Paw said if he had a choice, that would be the way to go. God gave him his wish, and we thank Him for that.

I love you Paw Paw, and I will miss you.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Your Paw Paw would be proud of the way you have honored him. Great post!