December 29, 2009

Imaginations at work

In case I don't actually get to finish the post I'm planning to work on today, I thought I'd summarize the conversation I just heard between the eldest two Himstedt children. They each had baby dolls they were taking care of, and put them down on the couch and came to the table when I made hot chocolate for them.
Amelia: "It's great to have an evening out without the babies."
Shannon: "Yes, it is."
Amelia (picking up a pretend phone): "I'm going to call and check on them. (To the pretend babysitter on the other end),"Oh, oh no! The babies are passing out? Oh my goodness!" (Turning to Shannon), "We have to go home right away! The babies are passing out!"
Shannon: "But we haven't had dessert yet."


For school we've been working on nouns, adjectives, and verbs. Last week Amelia made a list (on her own) of adjectives that describe me. I was flattered: Pretty, nice, sweet, busy, and sorry (she meant empathetic- that one hasn't reached our vocabulary list yet!). I asked her which one described me best. "Busy," she said. I figured. Thankfully "nice" was her second choice.


Last week Amelia also took to calling me, "Miss Divine," pretending we were doing school. (Even when we weren't- surprising.) Shannon, as her dad, was outside in his Jeep waiting for her to finish "class" so he could take her home. He waited a LONG time too, she didn't get ready to go out in the cold for at least 20 minutes. She said, "Miss Divine, my dad says I will marry somebody like him some day. He doesn't listen to me." Hee hee.

It was nearly dark outside when she finally decided to get her coat on to meet her "dad." In the meantime he had grown weary of waiting and was walking to the front door. She saw him through the window and said, "He's parking! WHAT is he doing?! I don't want to walk home!" She stormed outside, had a few words with him, then they came in together. He explained that they had flashlights and were okay. She said, "I was like, 'What, are you nuts?!' But we found our way home in the dark."

Thank goodness.

No comments: